The promulgation of the National Disaster Management Ordinance, 2006 and the approval of National Disaster Risk Management Framework led to the establishment of National Disaster Management Authority as Focal point at the federal level, while State Disaster Management Authority (SDMA) was established for Pakistan Administered Kashmir.
STATE DISASTER MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY (SDMA)
State Disaster Management Authority (SDMA) is the statutory body mandated to act as leading agency in disaster management, its mitigation and preparedness in Azad Jammu & Kashmir. Azad Jammu & Kashmir is highly prone to multiple hazards and has experienced worst disasters situation due to earthquake, torrential rain/flood, landslides & avalanches in the recent past. Due to climate change, there is a visible increase in frequency of natural disasters i.e. floods, droughts, cloud burst, melting of glaciers, and landslides.
- Monitor/integrate/enforce Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) measures,
- Prepare strategies,
- Streamline institutions, pool resources, build capacity,
- Integrate monitoring standards
- Enable/establish rapid response schemes/force to reduce AJ&K’s exposure/vulnerability
- Advocate integration of DRR measures into future socio-economic development policies